Friday, July 16, 2010

Home Again


We're back! And as you can probably guess, we didn't have Internet access but for a few minutes (in which Darcy managed to fire off a bunch of emails and update all of her social media statuses). So we recorded our impressions and thoughts the old fashioned way - by writing in our journals every night.

We are back from the greatest, most moving experience of our lives. I expected to be astonished, enlightened and mesmerized but I did not expect to dampen the Kenyan soil with my tears; nor to have my heart squeezed and filled to overflowing with love. I did not expect to find people with such generosity and strength of spirit or to be welcomed  with soaring song and celebration. I did not expect to be greeted by each and every person I encountered with the sing song "Jam-bo" -- including Mamas bearing water jugs, men herding goats and donkeys and children perched on the roadside hills. It was like an ongoing chorus ...jambo (hi!) accompanied with the widest smiles and two handed waves.

So if you are interested, you can watch for more posts as Darcy and I untangle the thoughts, emotions, connections and activities that made our trip the monumental experience it was.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the image of you leaving your tears behind in Africa. It's like a little bit of you stayed behind and will always be there :)

    ReplyDelete